Surviving Law School Being a Full Time Working-Student-Mom-Entrepreneur-Manager


    

    After a very long hiatus in online journaling, I'm finally back to writing my thoughts. This time about my life as a mother-entrepreneur-manager and law school student. 

    As the second semester of my freshman law school draws near, I am getting more and more restless as to whether I should pursue law school or just drop out of the course. I must admit I loved learning about the law, I devour knowledge like a thirsty camel, but the stimulus coming from all sides made me wonder what to prioritize.

    No handbook will guide me to pass law school while being a full-time manager at work, a mother, a wife-partner, a homemaker, an entrepreneur, and alas! Being a law student ALL AT ONCE!

    At the rate that I am running my life right now, I could burn out in the first lapse if ever I could qualify to proceed in the second semester.

    I have listened to and watched YouTube videos on working students, but none mentioned being a full-time working law student mom entrepreneur in the Philippines.

    I wonder if there are others like me? Who in their mid-thirties followed an awakening and dived right into the circulation of rigorous legal education?

    I was asked by the Dean of Law School during the entrance interview, "With all your accomplishments, why do you bother to enter law school?"

Why?

Ah yes, the million-dollar question "why do you want to become a lawyer?"

Is it okay to say that I just want to learn about the law?

    I honestly really do not know how far I can travel in this legal education/career journey. I am just taking it one step at a time, learning about the curves, surviving, striving to pass the next round, and learning all I can to the best of my ability and resources so that when real people ask me about the law, I could enlighten them with the correct answers.

    When I applied for law school, I was sure I could rank high and secure a place at the top of my class because I was overconfident with the real-life experience under my belt. But OUCH! Reality bites nastily! I fell helplessly in the pit and wondered how in the world did I miss the legal concepts and failed to explain them in the exam the way they should.  

    Now, I wait in vain whether I have sufficient knowledge to qualify for the second semester of my first year in law school.

    When I started law school in August 2021, my goal was to top the class, but when law school reality sunk in, it hit me so hard I had to settle in merely passing all the law school subjects and strive to qualify to proceed the next sem.

    So, yeah. I am not sure where this law school road leads. Still, I want to grab it, taste it, experience the highs and lows, savor the feeling of being ignorant about the different legal concepts, cry, laugh, fear, and get anxious about the mental load and pressure of submitting the requirements and basically, enjoy the law school journey as it unfolds raw right before my eyes.

    To all law students like me, feeling lost in translation, doubtful, anxious, and no idea what's going on, may we all find the strength to keep pressing, no matter how dark the tunnel may seem.

    To all working mothers and career managers while studying in law school, may we look at our kids and make them our inspiration that one day, they will imitate our resilience during the difficult times.


So that one day, when all is well, we will look back on this period of our lives and be glad we didn't give up.

 

Press on comrades!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

(Corporate) Love in the midst of the Pandemic

A Day in the Vanishing Island in Samal Davao

My Corporate Life Working At Home